The important issue is not how many contributions a study will make, but rather a significance for each.
Do you have a contribution?
- Check our pitch templates
Looking for inspiration what a potential contribution may be?
Test the assumptions
- …on which a significant stream of research relies
- Taking a step back and identify core assumptions
Probe the external validity
- …of what we take to be true
- Common background factors?
The next new thing
- Open new domains of inquiry
- Make sure that this domain has significant implications if it was better understood
Work backward in the causal chain
- Examine a variable, that if understood better, has major implications for a vast nest of relationships
Intervene in an accepted causal chain
- Taken-for-granted relationships? But really, really? What happens if they disappear?
Challenging conventional managerial practices/beliefs
Resolve inconsistent findings
- Requires taking a step back…
- Examine a stream of research in a holistic fashion
- Focus on subtleties, that may have not so subtle implications